When using websites that allow you to interact with people online, please keep the following tips in mind:
- Personal Information. Don’t
give out personal information without your parents’ permission. This
means you should not share your last name, home address, school name,
age, grade or telephone number. Remember, just because someone asks for
information about you does not mean you have to tell them anything about
- Screen Name. When creating your screen name, do not include personal information like your last name or date of birth.
- Passwords. Don’t share your
password with anyone but your parents. When you use a public computer
make sure you logout of the accounts you’ve accessed before leaving the
- Online Friends. Don’t agree
to meet an online friend unless you have your parents’ permission.
Unfortunately, sometimes people pretend to be people they aren't.
Remember that not everything you read online is true.
- Bullying. Don’t send or
respond to mean or insulting messages. Tell your parents if you receive
one. If something happens online that makes you feel uncomfortable, talk
to your parents or to a teacher at school.
- Questions? Always talk to your parent or teacher if you encounter something online that makes you feel uncomfortable.
For more tips, please go to the following websites: